You have probably heard that digital marketing is currently one of the hottest professional skills around. In fact, just this December Linkedin listed digital marketing as one of the top professional skills worldwide.
Well, gaining proficiency in digital marketing goes beyond obtaining a degree or certification (though it helps). It entails you being hungry for knowledge, being forward-thinking. These traits are necessary because digital marketing is constantly in a flux. You also need to fall in love with the profession.
Those requirements I can’t give you- but what I can, I give to you and it’s a treat!
39, Amazingly Free Digital Marketing Resources to Upgrade Your Digital Marketing Skills.
Here are some of the best FREE digital marketing resources you can find on the on the subject of digital marketing.
Social Media Marketing
Here are a few books that can get you started and increase your knowledge of social media marketing
- Facebook Content Marketing for Business (Wishpond): Here, you’ll learn about the most effective types of Facebook content, how to create a content schedule, how to analyze your content using Facebook Insights, and more. LINK: Download here
- 58 Social Media Tips for Content Marketing (Content Marketing Institute): Here you’ll find byte sized, easy to consume tips on using different social networks. The tips come with examples of brands that have practiced the suggestions. LINK: Download Here
- 20 Ways to Succeed at Social Media Engagement (Salesforce): This is a great starting point for novices. Although written in 2012, the ideas here are still relevant. Its content gold I recommend to all marketers. LINK: Download Here
- 3 Strategies To Strengthen Your Brand’s Social Voice (SproutSocial): Here you’ll learn about defining your brand’s guiding principles- determining whether your brand should have a casual or formal voice, what human qualities should you exude?. What are our grammatical and sentence structure preferences? Etc. LINK: Download Here
- The Definitive Guide to Getting Started with Social Media Marketing (SKADEEDLE): This is a handy guide. In this book by Skadeedle, you’ll learn to have a firm grasp on using Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. You’ll also get to understand the function of each platform. LINK: Download Here
- How to Win in Social Media (Social Shark): This is another great place to start- by the time you are through you should be on your way to becoming a “social media shark”. Link: Download Here
- The Complete Guide to Facebook Contests and Promotions (Wishpond): As the name implies, you’ll learn about; the types of Facebook contests, techniques for measuring contest ROI, How Facebook rules and regulations determine the types of contests you can run, how to convert contest contestants into customers etc. LINK: Download Here
- How to Create the Perfect LinkedIn Company Page (Hubspot): Just as the name implies- you get to learn about LinkedIn marketing. You get a visual guide, a checklist, and templates. Enjoy!. LINK: Download Here
- Twitter Content Marketing For Business (Wishpond): This book introduces you to the basics of Twitter and goes further to the various twitter analytics services available. Really useful content. Link: Download Here
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet For Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn (Impactbnd): The information in this cheat sheet is presented in a clear and concise manner, and the tips are sure to help anyone improve their reach and popularity on social networks. LINK: Download Here
- The Future Of Social Media: Personalizing Business By Focusing On People (Not Profiles) (Hubspot): This is another content gold. It’s timeless and will always be relevant. You get tips in the art of “social” in social media. You get tips on growing your community and following. It also shows you how to use social content to personalize your brand’s interaction with customers. LINK: Download Here
- The Complete Guide to Hashtag Marketing (Giga): Hashtags have become an important part of social media marketing. This book teaches you all you need to know about using the character to amplify your social media marketing efforts. It’s actually fun and colorfully designed too! LINK: Download Here
Search Engine Optimisation
SEO is a constantly changing landscape. No knowledge/tactic is ever done and dusted. These books will, however, prove to be handy.
- The Beginner’s Guide to SEO (Moz): This is a perfect place for beginners. It’s not so recent but it’s none the less relevant. LINK: Download Here
- Learning From the Experts. (Hubspot): Here you find a valuable compilation of golden (and timeless content) from top experts. Link: Download Here
- 17 SEO MYTHS You Should Leave Behind in 2014: Yea, I know, It’s 2015 but, the concepts here are pretty useful. You’ll learn how not to fall into the trap of implementing out-dated SEO strategies by highlighting and debunking 17 SEO myths that you should avoid in 2014. It’s also an easy read.
- SEO Experts reveal the truth about Marketing: Now, this is fresh and hot out of the oven. It’s also easy to read. You should read this. LINK: Download Here
- SEO Survival Guide (Weidert group): This book discusses how to go about an SEO strategy that suits your website. You’ll learn about search engines, content creation, social media, and PR. I strongly recommend this. LINK: Download Here
- SEO: The Past, Present, and Future (Hubspot): As the name implies, you get a glimpse of the history and evolution of SEO and also the future. It comes with a useful keyword development sheet. J’Adore! LINK: Download Here
- SEO Now. 2014 (Lindex): This book takes a comprehensive look at the present state of SEO. It’s a lot of pages (nearly 350). But it is filled with insightful conversations with top experts in the industry. LINK: Download Here
- How to Create Compelling Content that Ranks Well in Search Engines (Copyblogger): In this book, you’ll learn how to write content that not only appeals to humans but will also help boost your SEO. I particularly like the clean non-obtrusive design used by those guys at Copyblogger. A must read it tell you! LINK: Download Here
- Understanding SEO Techniques (Tone Agency).: Perfect for beginners. This e-book is a great and comprehensive guide to the fundamentals of SEO techniques. The e-book discusses a variety of interesting topics, including keyword targeting, social media integration, and content creation. Link: Download Here
- The Dawn of a new type of marketing (Giga): A must-read by every Nigerian marketer. It explains the history and timeline of traditional marketing’s evolution to content marketing, teaches you how to go about content marketing and gives a prophetic outlook of content marketing in Nigeria.
Link: Download Here
The top e-mail marketing software service providers are big on content marketing. By this, I mean that they provide lots of useful and relevant content that will be useful to anyone just starting out with e-mail marketing.
I just provide links to their resource pages. Feel free to download and read what suits your knowledge needs.
- MailChimp LINK: Access Here
- AWeber Guides Link: Access Here
- You may also check out Get response’s “21 Ways to Build your list”. LINK: Download Here
Online Display Advertising has been around for a while and will continue to be. So here goes;
- WORDSTREAM ‘S PPC UNIVERSITY
I really like WordStream’s PPC University.
Its progressive- you can start from the very beginning at PPC 101 or from anywhere your proficiency allows you.
ACCESS: PPC University
- You can also take a look at Hubspot’s Introduction to PPC
Growth hacking is more than the tools and tactics- it’s more of a mindset that takes advantages of certain abilities tools and tactics.
Most of the good books on Growth Hacking are paid for but I read Neil Patel’s free book- “Guide to Growth Hacking “ some months back and found it really good.
It gives a deep understanding of the idea of growth hacking. It’s a great place to start.
LINK: Download Here
Conversion Rate Optimization
Unbounce houses a great resource centre on CRO.
They have a 2-part online course called The Smart Marketer’s
Landing Page Conversion Course ,
They have eBooks, guides and webinars. They also have marketing toolkits.
Enough said- here’s the link of: free e-books on conversion essentials
I suggest you read these two e-books-
The Ultimate Guide to A/B Split Testing and
Clicking me Softly: A 5-Day Crash Course in Conversion. Check out their videos and webinars as well.
This link is for wishpond not unbounce http://corp.wishpond.com/ebooks/
2. I also recommend Neil Patel’s books.
If you want basic knowledge on analytics, you can check out Ben Barden’s book: A beginner’s Guide to Google Analytics.
Link: Download Here
Digital PR & Corporate Communications
The Rules of PR and Corporate Communications in the Digital Age (Giga)
A handy guide that gives you a deep, foundational introduction into the new rules of PR and Corporate Communications in the digital age.
LINK: Download Here
So there you have it.
Now over to you- what aspect of digital marketing do you find most exciting?